Book Reviews

Thursday, 20 June 2013

Leabs, pumpkins and Granola xo


My dear friend Jasmine has a son on the brink of turning 5.  She often refers to him as the 'little rascal'... 'trouble maker' and 'Tasmanian Devil'.  And trust me... I've met little Jordy on several occasions, and YES... her description is pretty much BANG ON.  But he TOO... just like every single one of us, is full of surprises ... and is a combination of ever changing faces, moods and colours.  
___________________________

The moments I most cherish in life are the ones that catch you out of no where... that click their fingers LOUD and SMACK BAM in front of your face.  They WAKE you up When and How you least expect...

They're random... and sometimes you can't put your finger on WHY, but they present you with a special message JUST at the right time to help you carry out the rest of your day... when it's just one of THOSE days... the kind of icky days we've all experienced... where we're dragging our feet through it laboriously and the load feels so much more HEAVY and UNBEARABLE on your mind and body.  Have these days before?

Well.. for me I'm thinking about a particular morning at work where my desk was already covered in ENOUGH.. and my inbox was flooding with more... MORE.... NOW... NOW.  I'd already felt overwhelmed and on edge with the projects deadlining that week... and now, screaming at me was another new and out of the blue job that had a BIG BOLD RED exclamation mark.  That simmering in my belly was knocking for more and more attention.

I don't know about you... but when I feel overwhelmed at work I'll get up and go make a cup of tea.  I have no shame in making as many cups of tea as it takes to get through a day.  If you ever catch me making REPETITIVE kitchen runs.... where you'll most likely find me stirring a spoon intently into my mug... that's a sure sign I'm having one of 'Those Days'.  On this one morning I was onto my second cup before 9am... feeling frazzled and frozen already....and gorgeous Jasmine graces the kitchen with a joy filled energy.  She had that iresistable sparkle in her eyes.  And there I was dreading returning back to my desk.  In her happy spirit she blurts out:
'Do you know what my Jordy said this morning?  You wouldn't believe it!...he's way too cute.  With all his seriousness..... Jordy pointed at the trees before getting in the car and said to me, "Look Mummy, the Leabs are turning orange!  Theres gonna be lotsa pumpkins falling soon."

...RIDICULOUS I know but that's all it took in that moment where I just BURST out laughing.  Those words from Jordy became my silly but LOUD and BRUTAL 'Click'... WAKE UP SAYA moment.  I realised right there, that all that 'STUFF' waiting for me at my work desk doesn't REALLY matter.... because at the end of the day... 'Leabs' DO turn orange and Pumpkins CAN fall from the trees.... somewhere in the world.... in fact in JORDY'S world.

I love these flashes of awareness, when I see that Life is not worth the battle... It's worth the giggles and silly child like moments along the way..... xo Right on


I love pumpkins.... so here is a newbie recipe to get cracking on if you wish.  This beauty is adapted from Sarah Wilson's recipe... healthy and delish!  The last time I made this Spiced Granola, I gave it away as a token of gratitude for once again being on the receiving end of another's kind gesture.  It's a Long story... but basically involved a broken smoke alarm, broken coffee table ..... and marked the beginning of a ONE OF A KIND friendship that will be sure to last a lifetime.

Enjoy xo

Pumpkin Ginger Spice Granola*

Ingredients:
6 tablespoons coconut oil
3 - 5 tablespoons rice malt syrup
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
2 cups rolled oats
2 cupcs coconut flakes
1 teaspoon each of: cinnamon, allspice and ginger powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
2 cups roughly chopped almonds and cashews
2 cups roughly chopped pecans
1 cup pepitas
1 cup raisins


Method:
Preheat the oven to 140 degrees celsius (285 degrees Fahrenheit).

Combine rice malt syrup, pumpkin puree and coconut oil in a large saucepan and gently bring to the boil, then remove from the heat.

Stir in all the remaining ingredients (except for the raisins).  Spread mixture onto a greased or lined baking tray and bake for 30 minutes or until golden to darker and rich in colour (but not burnt!).

Remove from the oven and leave to cool.

Toss the cooled granola and stir in the raisins.  


Yummmmm



*Sarah Wilson's Pumpkin Ginger Spice Granola



1 comment: